BEST 15 INCH SUBWOOFER – ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
When you are stuck in traffic, you must have noticed that bass-thumping noises that make it look like a dancing car. If you have been to a house that has a home theater, you must have experience the sounds as though living in your body. This is because you even catch the sound waves too faint for human ear. And that’s what a subwoofer does.
A subwoofer (often referred to as sub) is a woofer, or a comprehensive loudspeaker, designed to reproduce sounds in low-pitched acoustic frequencies called bass. On an average, subwoofers can handle frequency ranging from approximately 20 to 200 Hertz for home products. Professionals (DJ, live etc.) go for those below 100 Hertz. But subwoofers below 80 Hertz are only used in THX-certified systems. Subwoofers are mainly used to boost the frequency range of loudspeakers that usually covers higher frequency bands. While your regular speakers makes high and mid-range frequencies, when it comes to sounds of lesser frequencies, the outcome is often distorted and unintelligible sounds. Also, normal amplifiers are not made to handle the power required for bass. This is why a subwoofer is a necessary element of your audio system to produce the bass. There are numerous types of subwoofers available and our aim is to provide a comprehensive guide that will help you make an informed choice.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF SUBWOOFERS
There are fundamentally two kinds of subwoofers: active subwoofer and passive subwoofer. An active subwoofer comes with an integrated motorized speaker to help enhance the power that goes into the subwoofer. This additional power makes it flexible and can reproduce clear and louder sound. On the other hand, a passive subwoofer has no such luxury. It has no power supply or in-built loudspeaker. It utilizes power from some other source. It could be a separate amplifier or loudspeaker or directly from the car or home. Compared to passive subwoofers, active ones are usually easier to assemble as there are less cabling and configurations to do. It is not easy to put together and not everyone can figure out how. So if you are not ready to deal with the long hours required for it, better opt for an active sub. Here, you only have to do the basic plugging.
BEST 15 INCH SUBWOOFERS
Rockford Corporation is known for their products that give power-packed performance and P1S4-15 Punch is already a favorite among buyers. Featuring a 2-inch copper covered aluminum voice coil, Rockford Fosgate’s P1S4-15 Punch P1 SVC has a stamp cast frame composition with a flex fit basket design.
- With a PVC textured magnet swathe that protects the device, it also comes with a soft touch ABS and neat hoop with optional frame.
- Rockford Fosgate subwoofers utilize anodized voice coil ensure greater heat resistance, even up to 100 Degree Celsius, keeping the device cool even during high SPL settings.
- Customized 10-AWG nickel coated push terminals with lengthier pole piece also add to the performance.
- Another specialty is the multipoint episodic’ fixture of lead wires that brings down the burden on each one by spreading it over more surface space. These stitched tinsel leads endure tremendous duty cycles, continual working and high power that are important to a strong design. This will of course augment the consistency, durability and overall performance of the product.
Latest MOFO woofers boast of a complex sandwich poly/paper cone with a tiny dust-cap that can effectively cool off the voice coil.
- Die-Cast Aluminum Frame, Dual Poly-Cotton Spiders, Nickel Plated 8ga Compression, Vented Pole Piece and Wire Terminals.
- The aluminum stiffeners can do away with cone flex during low bass and extended operation.
- Power Acoustik MOFO Series Car Audio Subwoofers comes with an RMS rating of 1700 watts and a high rating of 3000 watts.
- With a double 4-Ohm layer voice coil, this subwoofer will generate some considerably bass and is attached with a non-pressed pulp cone.
- There is also a polyether foam around it for added protection.
It comes with a dual 2-1/2 voice coil and a strontium magnetic composition of 170 oz. You may include some bumps in the trunk to boost your stereo system with this product.
The Skar audio ddx-15 d2 is an avant-garde subwoofer (for cars) of professional standard. The size is 15-inch and it is endowed with dual 2-ohm voice coil arrangement. The DDX assemble was crafted by Skar audio to be a subwoofer of SPL grade that could be operated in everyday system applications as well.
- Allows non-rivals to employ the same subwoofers as the rest of them in the lanes.
- Each section and part embedded in the design of DDX-15 D2 subwoofers is handpicked for their topnotch quality, consistency and improved performance.
- Attributing an enormous dual stack motor, a pure copper voice coil (2-ohm) that can withstand high temperature and paper cone affixed, the subwoofer can handle huge power.
- The RMS power is 1000 watts and the maximum power is 1500 watts.
A skilled team of engineers made the VM Audio Encore 15” high excursion subwoofer mainly for car owners. It is endowed with sought-after characteristics like linear-flex spider that gives high clarity of bass.
- The VM Audio ECW150 Encore pushes peak power of 4000 watts and RMS of 2000 watts.
- It doesn’t matter what you are listening to. ECW150 promises to do complete justice to any bass-level as per your listening preference.
- Those who are particular about sound quality can make out the slightest difference in sound purity.
- This subwoofer utilizes sophisticated and agile suspension of the motor.
- A good ally of thrill seekers, it is made to last for a long time.
- ECW150 can pump plenty of power and they use top quality voice coils to bear up high power. Bigger magnetic surface space along with direct airing feature and ferro-fluid coating take care of the cooling required for such a highly powered device to ensure maximum performance and durability.
PRICING TRENDS OF SUBWOOFERS
There is a vast and diverse range of prices for a subwoofer. You can buy a decent quality subwoofer of a reputed brand at around 60 USD. This is of course the entry-level price. You can also splurge hundreds of dollars for a high-end one. Just like any other type of electronic device, the more features and components are there in a single unit, the costlier it is.
Since there are so many top-rated products with remarkable reviews about it, make sure to do your homework before investing in one.
HERE ARE TWO THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND WHEN SHOPPING FOR A SUBWOOFER
Size: The classic sizes for subs are 8″, 10″, 12″, and 15″. Though it purely depends on the kind of music you listen to, 15” is the recommended one if listen to playlists with immense bass in it.
Material: Subwoofer’s quality and its cone material have little connection though thicker material often translates to long life. You can choose ones with polypropylene, paper or woven fiber; they do not impact the sound quality to a large extent.
In the end, every sub will focus on different characteristics and you should make the decision according to the source of power, audio source as well as the kind of wiring to get the best results.